What is Infant Visual Screening?
At Foley Vision Center, we provide complimentary Infant Visual Screening. To evaluate your child’s vision, we will perform a history and physical, including a comprehensive exam of the eyes.
Many different types of vision tests can be used to check your child’s ability to see. Some of them can be used at any age, while others are used based on your child’s age and understanding.
What are the Visual Screening Tests for Infants?
The following tests can be performed to check your infant’s vision:
- Response to light: your child will blink in response to bright light.
- Pupil response: measures the reaction of the pupil (the black center part of the eye) by shining a penlight in the eye is one way to test your child’s vision.
- Ability to follow a target: the most common vision acuity test in infants is a test to check their ability to look at and follow an object.
- Visually evoked response testing: stimulates the eyes with either a bright light or a particular pattern. The infant is connected to a special monitor with attachments on his or her head. The machine records electrical activity in the brain as the lights and patterns are shown to your child.
What are the Visual Screening Tests for an Older Infant and Toddler?
Many of the above tests may be performed, in addition to the following:
- Cover and uncover test: looks for movement and alignment of the eyes that may happen when your child focuses on an object. One eye is covered with an opaque card while the child stares straight ahead. At this time, we will observe the uncovered eye.
What are the Visual Screening Tests for a Preschooler?
Some of the same tests that are used for a toddler may be used for Preschoolers. Additionally, around age 3, testing may also include:
- Visual acuity tests: specific tests and charts may be used to measure both near and distant vision. In a preschooler, these charts may consist of pictures or stories instead of letters of the alphabet.
- Color testing: helps determine color blindness in a child.
What are the Visual Screening Tests for Older Children?
For children starting school, formal vision tests can be completed with unique charts or instruments that aid with testing vision. Both near and far vision can be evaluated.
Request an Appointment in Eugene, Oregon
At Foley Vision Center, Infant Visual Screening is a complimentary service. If you would like to test your child’s vision, call (541) 342-4243 or request an appointment through our site. Dr. Foley and the friendly, knowledgeable team at our vision center in Eugene will put you and your child first. We look forward to seeing you!